I’ve had a pretty busy couple of weeks. I have travelled to London (please note the double L for speakers of British English) and have now moved out of my apartment and said goodbye to Vitoria-Gasteiz forever. (I don’t actually know if it’s FOREVER, but I’m pretty sure. Mostly I just like to use that word for dramatic effect).
Since I am finished with work, my only project upon returning from the aforementioned trip to London and then from Asturias was to clear out of my
piso
(that, and go out for La Noche de San Juan). No easy task might I add. Who knew the quantity of stuff that one could accumulate in just two years?
Increíble. So I gave away a lot of clothes and shoes, and threw away even more; disposed of all my teaching materials (muahaha); left behind countless miscellaneous effects (sheets, towels, etc.) but finally managed to get everything packed to take with me to Pamplona. Since I’m flying home mid month I’m staying with David until I peace out. Perfect timing because the running of the bulls is going on as we speak.
So, my last days in Vitoria… sad, but not as horrendous as I expected. I don’t know what it is… maybe it’s because I’m older and less sensitive; maybe over the years

I’ve gotten used to moving around, or maybe I was just ready to leave (most probable, all things considered). Whatever it was, I kept the goodbye rituals to a minimum; I’ve known this was coming for a while now. No need to make it a big thing. I will say that Marta and Bea (“the twins” as I like to call them) nearly moved me to tears with going away gifts and getting their boyfriends and friends together for farewell pinxtos and beer. I’m so glad I met them. I’ll be honest, if it hadn’t been for those girls I would have probably had a really negative image of the Basque Country. Phew!

The really fun part about my final night in Gasteiz was that Leto came to visit me. After a low-key night on the town with other
gasteiztarra guiris and some quality time the next day, she and my V-G girlfriends saw me off to the train station. How fitting that she would be there to haul my crap to the train just like last year. Those are true friends! I mean, I had like 5 suitcases.

As I mentioned, I got to Pamplona just in time for the running of the bulls! It didn’t start until the 6th however (coincidentally my mother’s birthday; what a party!) so we made good time of the days in between, hanging out (we had a fun night out with his co-workers who I all got to meet for the first time--hilarious) and exploring Las Bardenas national park.

Speaking of old Valladolid friends, I also got to see Joanne, my French roomie from last year. She bopped down for the festivities to visit some of her friends from her time abroad as well. We had a great time taking in the first days of the festival. And I got to play her Pamplona tour guide! I can’t believe I know the city well enough to do that… Wow, two years!

After a few days of San Fermín fun, David and I decided to get the heck out of dodge (it gets pretty hectic during the running of the bulls weekends) and head west. Literally as far west as you can go in Europe—to Galicia. (Back in the pre-Columbian era this is where people though the world ended, thus the name for the farthest reaching city—Finisterra). Galicia is that little region of Spain that overhangs Portugal. It has beautiful landscapes and architecture, delicious seafood, and amusing people.

No really, their accent is hilarious. To the untrained ear it sounds a bit like Asturian, where Marta is from, but
nada que ver. Okay,
soy un poco friki… Anyway, we had a great time! We stayed in Santiago de Compostela and saw the famous cathedral. Santiago means Saint James in Spanish and this is supposedly where the remains of the apostle James are located. So we explored the church and the city and ate some amazing tapas (only place in the north where you can get free tapas with your drink, as it should be). We also headed to the region’s largest

city, A Coruña, to see its main sight, the Tower of Hercules, which is oldest Roman lighthouse in use today. (It’s over 1900 years old! You just don’t get that in America). The highlight for me was a boat trip from another major city, Vigo, to the Cíes Islands to spend the day on the most beautiful beach in the world (according The Guardian. I’d have to say I agree). I got sunburned beyond belief but it was so worth it. Made the 9 hour train ride back to Navarra a little uncomfortable though.

Once we were back in Pamplona I spent a lot of time packing and re-packing, but I’m finally ready to go. Only three suitcases; pretty impressive. I’ve enjoyed my last days at the running of the bulls and had some teary good-byes from David’s friends and our friends from Chile. But like I’ve said before, it’s not adios, just hasta luego. I hope I can remember that when David leaves me at the airport in Madrid. I’m going to be a WRECK. But he’s making

the trip to Wisconsin in the fall, so no need for dramatics quite yet.
Now I’m just trying to look forward to the future. I’m sad to leave Spain (I mean, really sad; I think distraught is the right word) but excited to start the next chapter. I think returning to Wisconsin will be… fun. However if there’s one thing that I’ve learned these two years it’s that things rarely turn out the way you think they will. That’s okay though; it’s part of the adventure!
No comments:
Post a Comment